Sirens Of Silence Charity Inc. - Supporting our Triple Zero Heroes
Our Principle Aim
3 Way Support Process:
If you are a Paramedic, Police Officer, Fire Fighter, Triple Zero Communications Officer, whether you are career staff, volunteer, retired, injured, resigned, terminated or current staffplease join us and show support for our emergency personnel.
If you have events and fundraisers you would like advertised with links here, please email us
Up and Coming Events
- March 9th, 2017 - Professional Development Workshop, Bunbury W.A. 'Working with Grief, Loss and Trauma' Information flyer here.
- April-August TBC, 2017 - Broome and Goldfields W.A 'Working with Grief, Loss and Trauma' further details to follow in the year.
- May 19th - 26th, 2017 - The Gibb Challenge, to select SOS as your team beneficiary, we'd love you to Join us in Gibbster's Choice for 2017.
- May 28th May - 12th June, 2017 - Pradopoint GTG. Travelling through the Kimberley Region with your fellow Prado loving minded people.
- September TBC, 2017 - Sirens of Silence Annual Charity Golf Day Broome W.A.
February 2017 -
Well where did January go? You would be excused for thinking it went way to quickly and you didn't even notice. What, with all the food, fun and festivities of the Christmas and New Year break, rest time was needed by you all no doubt.
It's now already February and we are in full swing for a big year ahead. 2017 will see us focus on raising awareness and education for our emergency service personnel. We kick off with our first regional Professional Development workshop with the wonderful crew from Road Trauma Support WA, in early March down in Bunbury.
May sees the return of the Gibb Challenge back in full force and with the pedals already turning up here in the Kimberley region, its time to get your fund-raising into gear, as each year the event allows for teams and individuals to have a choice of beneficiaries, SOS has created the fund-raising page for those who wish to continue to support us, we are thankful and honoured to have you join us at Gibbster's Choice. Create your team, family or individual link and start fundraising to support our triple zero heroes. "Be a part of the community who helps save the ones who save you"
Well it seems May has it all up here in the Kimberley, the 2017 Pradopoint GTG gets underway May 28th from Kununurra. This year Pradopoint GTG have selected to raise funds from fines for SOS, we are delighted with this as not only will the event raise funds but also much needed awareness reaching far and wide amongst the enthusiasts of the event and its followers. With so much water being dumped in the tropical north this wet season these guys and gals are surely in for a spectacular waterfall show.
On another bright exciting note, are you looking for new friends and healthy exercise with like minded people? Why not join Rogue Runners Club Australia, this wonderful supportive bunch of short and long distance runners raise money and awareness for Sirens of Silence, to keep up to date with all things Rogue like them on Facebook and declare yourself 'Rogue'.
The Rogue’s mission is to become the ‘go-to’ community running crew and network for paid or voluntary emergency service personnel and their families to assist with fitness, running and nutritional goals in support of reducing and preventing the impacts and symptoms of post-traumatic stress and mental illness.
So what to do now: declare yourself 'Rogue' on the Facebook page at RRCA Members Group, and meet some of the wonderful inspiring, creative like minded people from Rogue Runners Club Australia.
The fundraising has begun, if you would like to sponsor your favourite Rogue or join the fund-raising leader board as a 'Rogue' individual or team simply visit Rogue Runners for Sirens of Silence Charity Inc via our Mycause platform.
Keep an eye out for the Jase and Dan (below) at the big bright ORANGE RRCA marquee at running events with some fabulous tunes playing on the PA, they have gold coin donation post run 'rub downs' by the fabulous team of soothing hands from the Australian Institute of Fitness as well merchandise sales of runners Tee's and Singlets.
News articles from 2016 Gibb Challenge:
GWN News item at the Pentecost river: https://au.gwn7.yahoo.com/w1/news/a/-/local/31741386/hundreds-take-on-gruelling-outback-challenge-video/
Kimberley Echo Video Elquestro. https://www.facebook.com/KimberleyEcho/videos/1292205407473929/
Sirens of Silence, Home Valley Station Thank you Speech: https://youtu.be/et_Pq5pxNlg
Rule #5 2016 Gibb Challenge Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-AvowzT3Cs
Team Korea 2016 Gibb Challenge Video- thanks to Paik and Jesse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw3v8xldx5w
Kimberley Echo news article: https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/31696030/gibb-challenge-raises-400-000-for-broomes-sirens-of-silence/
Broome Advertiser news article: https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/31641708/gibb-challenge-funds-to-help-sirens-of-silence-expand/
Other Important Information:
- Online Merchandise: Don't forget if you would like to have your very own piece of Sirens of Silence merchandise you can visit our new look on line store and remember all orders help raise awareness and much needed funds to support your emergency service personnel.
- New Partnerships: Sirens of Silence Charity would like to welcome on board the wonderful counselling services of Ms Susan Medica and Eliza Hatton:
Ms Susan Medica - Counselling Psychologist B. Psych, M. Psych (Couns), Susan has private counselling rooms in Bedford for sessions and is also the counselling coordinator with Road Trauma Support WA and is working now closely with emergency service personnel to provide them with the most appropriate services available. Contact Susan's office for your private counselling on 08 9271 9271.
Eliza Hatton - (Bachelor of Psychology, Psychologist and Psychotherapist) from Mount Pleasant Counselling Service, Eliza is a well respected and accomplished Psychologist who specialises in helping emergency service personnel.
Special discounts apply for Sirens of Silence Members, contact us for more information to see either of these wonderful Psychologists.
- Fundraising: If you or your organisation would like to fundraise on behalf of SOS please contact us by email email@example.com we are grateful to all offers of assistance, whether by way of 'in kind' support, discounts, raising awareness as well as the fabulous $$ fund-raising.
- Discounts for Members: Stay tuned for upcoming discounts for members to access.
Latest News Articles -
Perth Now - 'St John Ambulance Responsible' 18th Sept 2016
Perth Now - 'St John Boss at odds with WA government' 13th Sept 2016
A Current Affair - 'Frontliners' 19th Aug 2016
4 Corners - 'Insurers Accused of making PTSD worse' 1st Aug 2016
4 Corners - 'Insult to Injury' 1st Aug 2016
Paramedics Overstretched 3rd May 2016
SJA in WA on defensive in lead up to suicide reviews 22nd April 2016
MP Adele Farina Slams Report 9th March 2016
Chief Psychiatrist Report 9th March 2016
Ambulance Service told to Improve 9th March 2016
ABC News article: Bullying Claims not Addressed 9th March 2016
ABC 7.30 Program: EMDR 20th November 2015
Former Paramedics call for better support services 4th November 2015
New Support Guidelines for PTSD in Australia 28th October 2015
Charity aims to support emergency service heroes 13th August 2015
Paramedic speaks of struggle with PTSD 6th August 2015
- Sadly we farewell another triple zero hero: Senior Constable Leigh McQuade from NSW Police, died 18th August 2016.
- February brings great sadness for all involved within the WA Ambulance, we are extremely saddened to announce the death of Paramedic Paul Oliver on February 10th. Paul recently worked in Hedland Western Australia and will remain 'In our Hearts' as a great work mate and great friend.
We have no further details surrounding Paul's death at this stage. See our memorial page for a special mention of Paul.
- With great sadness we announce Ambulance Paramedic Liam Bilsborough took his life today the 4th February in Toodyay W.A. Liam was recently stationed in Kalgoorlie. Our thoughts and our hearts go out to his family, friends, colleagues and all who knew this gentle lovely man.
Many of us have worked with and alongside Liam, sadly we have no answers but we will remember you always "In our Hearts" Rest In Peace, you have your final 89 and goodnight.
- Sadly this month we say goodbye and stand down to a number of overseas EMT's and emergency service personnel. Sadly our colleagues across the seas have had another tragic month with too many lives lost in the U.S. South Africa and the U.K. We have all seen too many suicides, our thoughts are with you all at these difficult times.
- Back home to Australia we say farewell and RIP to a young female paramedic from Geelong, Victoria. (Name not released) RIP young one.
- We also say farewell to Senior Constable Simone Carroll from Victoria, SC Carroll will be laid to rest on the 20th October 2015, 1030hrs. Police Academy (main Chapel) 1 View Mount Rd, Glen Waverley, Victoria.
With a gathering to remember SC Carroll at the Mulgrave Country Club, Wheelers Hill.
- In memory of retired Police Superintendent Mr Roy Patterson.
Roy passed away aged 89 on the 2nd Sept 2015 with his loving wife Tina at his bedside, his Funeral Service will be held at East Chapel, Pinnaroo Valley Memorial Park, 1430hrs Wednesday 9th September. You will be sadly missed by many Roy, RIP.
- Sadly firefighter, war vet and former police officer Kevin Corby will be laid to rest on 12th August 2015 at Karrakatta 1030hrs. Followed by a send off at the Herdsman.
-It is with great sadness we can report a Western Australian Police Officer has taken his life in the Goldfields on Friday 24th July 2015, our thoughts are with all involved, family, friends and colleagues. RIP Brother in Blue.
Our Police Officers place their lives on the line everyday, the ongoing side effects of continual traumatic events and saddening situations can lead to various issues for those we know to be strong and proud. Consider the next time you see a Police Officer doing the job they dedicate themselves to, thank them for being the ones who choose to be there to keep us all safe.
The funeral service for Scott Blanchard will be held on Thursday 6th August 2015 at Karrakatta 1430hrs
If you or someone you know needs immediate help for a crisis situation please call 000 for help or click the links below and seek help.